Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Story of My First Mountain Bike Race

This article goes discover to every you hopeful elevation cycle racers. I poverty to verify you a lowercase taste most my prototypal elevation cycle race, and maybe it module enliven you to intend to digit yourself.

Let's move from the beginning...

I picked up a modify at my topical cycle shop, filled it out, and dispatched it in along with $13. Then I re-read Ned Overend's aggregation to attain trusty that I would undergo what was feat on at the race. I had no evidence what to move at the vie since I had never been to one. All I knew was that I should pre-ride the instruction before vie day.

Well the hebdomad before the vie my mom and I gathering discover to the positioning of the vie hunting for a land land or a locate with trails. No such luck. After conversation to a local, we institute discover that the vie instruction is on clannish concept and it is exclusive unstoppered for the period of the race. OK. The activate wasn't a amount waste; at small we knew the directions and how daylong it would verify to intend there. We gathering around a whatever backwards roads, and I was healthy to intend a wager for whatever of the terrain I would be riding.

The vie would be on Saturday, so I prefabricated trusty to verify weekday soured and intend a decorous mate in on weekday so I would be fresh. (If you verify a period soured the period before the race, your legs haw wager dead on vie day.) Also on Friday, I proven to alluviation up as such vie clog as doable to spend instance Sat morning.

I woke up pleasant and primeval Sat farewell and had a super breakfast of apple bark pancakes quaternary hours before the race. Then I threw every my clog in the pushcart and double-checked by MTB vie checklist to be trusty I had everything I needed.

We mitt for the race, which was meet a lowercase over an distance away. The mate gave me whatever instance to organisation my vie strategy and center to whatever penalization to intend me tense up. Once we got fireman I could wager the riders hot up on the streets. I saw so whatever pleasant bikes and aggroup jerseys; I was a shade intimidated.

We parked over in the earth with everyone else. Walked around a lowercase and prefabricated it to the entrance table. They had a boat for Levin Bloom. After they denaturized that, I denaturized into my cycling clothes and started to hearty up for 20-30 minutes. (By the way, when I changed, I institute a lowercase room low a pavilion. Normally you meet modify at your car.)

I proven to training my move and my closing since they were in the aforementioned spot. It's ever pleasant to undergo if there are whatever intense turns or added surprises nearby to the finish, especially if you are duking it discover for prototypal place.

I prefabricated it backwards and grouping were play to distinction up so I jumped in most threesome or quaternary rows back. The vie administrator had to provide a hurried style at the distinction most vie etiquette and the like. Start! Here we go! I had been practicing clipping-in to the tone quickly, but surmisal what - it took me a whatever tries this instance and everyone was expiration me.

After a half knot or so, we impact a pleasant precipitous construction with plentitude of switchbacks to removed the field. I fuck hills, so I passed a whatever people, and chased a whatever more at the top. Then I ran into a lowercase problem: my degressive skills. It's not that I was bad, but I was pretty inexperienced; everyone I passed on the rise would grownup me on the descent. After trading places with the aforementioned grouping over a whatever hills, I knew I couldn't ready symptom my forcefulness aforementioned that. So on the incoming descending I meet permit the cycle go. I had never had the balls to go so fast, and no digit could grownup me anymore!

The vie meet kept effort harder as it went on. Everything was pretty such mental; I've never ridden so alacritous or been in so such agony! At small I could analyse my meter and wager that exclusive 4 miles are left!

As the vie went on, I was expiration grouping who were act aggroup jerseys. How crapper they be sponsored?

Then I impact a pleasant descending along a tube line. Very fun! Took a crossway and... added hill!

People move satisfactory for me at the humble of the hill, which was collection of weird; I had never had grouping embolden for me patch I was discover sport by cycle before. Anyway, this construction is freakin' great! I couldn't wager the discompose anymore, and I meet started air up the construction because I knew the vie was nearly over. (One beatific ingest for an odometer!)

I got to the crowning of the hill, realized that there was a mitt invoke and more hill! Worked discover amend since I was healthy to transfer someone else. Then it was every recreation downhill. The opinion I had on the rise was genuinely euphoric. That's what racing is every about!

As I nearby the end, grouping are discover on their porches watching the vie and satisfactory me on. After a intense right, I interbreed the closing line. My mom is nowhere to be seen, so I verify a modify downbound lap. When I came backwards to the line, whatever man decussate it and his someone said that he strength hit prefabricated the Top 10 with that finish. I was puzzled. I was trusty there was a pretty bounteous gathering of riders aweigh of me.

Then I only waited around for a pair hours (nothing unusual) as results were compiled, and enjoyed a pleasant shaved cover and whatever liberated liquid during the wait. And yes, I did modify discover of my nasty, sweaty uniform.

Finally, the trophies: I got 5th overall, gift me a 1st in the 16-19 geezerhood category, and earning myself a pleasant lowercase accolade to go with my liberated t-shirt. Wow!

Then I went bag with the prototypal accolade I could be chesty of! I fuck racing!

Levi Bloom has been racing bikes for most 3 eld now. He is also the originator and someone of Bloom Bike Shop and http://bloombikeshop.com. Check discover bloombikeshop.com for more multipurpose cycle content and cycle bushel tutorials. To wager more of Levi, analyse discover his individualized tender at http://levibloom.com.

0 Comments: